httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: apache-2.0
Date Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:10:48 GMT
On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > >But 2.0 won't be a complete rewrite and any attempt at starting from
> > >scratch would be ill advised, IMHO.  We will never get anywhere.
> >
> > I disagree on all three points.  It will be a complete rewrite or it
> > won't be called 2.0.  Starting from scratch is not what we are doing --
> > we are simply starting with a clean slate.  And we will get a lot
> > further, faster, and with less friction if we can easily distinguish
> > the re-integrated software from stuff that's just lying around waiting
> > for someone to check to see if it is totally broken.
>
> I disagree completely. Doing a complete rewrite of 2.0 is definitely ill
> advised. For one thing, it's simply not neccessary. Much of 1.3 is very
> much code we want to keep. I'd say at least 75% of it. And many of the
> improvements I personally want to make, i.e., API changes, filtered I/O,
> etc..., are completely able to be added by making changes to the current
> code. And that's probably the best way to do it.
>
> Now I agree that doing an rm on http_main.c and http_config.c, and
> rewriting those sections from scratch, is probably a good idea, since we
> want to totally revise how Apache's process and config models work. But

Lets just say I agree with Alexei's comments.

You can argue that starting fresh and copying things when needed
does the same thing (eg. can copy the modules over and go through
them with minimal changes), but the problem is that we don't get
a anywhere near buildable tree when we do that.  Such a thing
is critical; it won't be buildable and certainly not completely
runnable at all times, but it will be close to it.