httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: CGI output caching
Date Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:41:24 GMT
You can't normally do CGI caching in the web server because you don't know
what the output is based on.

Now, if you have a CGI and you know its output is based on the
query string, for example, then you may be able to safely cache that if
you decide that the data it is getting will not change too often, etc.

Normally the better solution is to change the CGI into some other method
(eg. module, mod_perl. mod_fastcgi, etc.) so you remove the CGI overhead
and then cache at some lower layer if you are pulling it from a database,
etc.  The times when you can usefully cache CGI output are very limited
and require extensive manual configuration.