httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Windows make files
Date Sat, 24 Jan 1998 18:36:53 GMT
On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:
>
> > Dean writes:
> > > If the makefiles are autogenerated why do we even have
> > > them checked into CVS?
> >
> > So the build doesn't ahve to autogenerate them, and so
> > the instructions for how to build don't have to walk
> > thru the tedium of describing how to use the IDE in
> > prose.
>
> So we're trying to support two build environments.  Automated and babysat.

No.  Automated (.mak) and damn-must-use-IDE (.dsp).

eg. if you want to usefully run a debugger, you have to do it from the
IDE.

The point is that it isn't just a matter of wanting to have the .dsp files
to make it easier to use a pretty environment, but rather because you
_have_ to use that environment for far too much.