httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/os/win32 ApacheModuleAuthAnon.dsp ApacheModuleAuthAnon.mak ApacheModuleCERNMeta.dsp ApacheModuleCERNMeta.mak ApacheModuleDigest.dsp ApacheModuleDigest.mak ApacheModuleExpires.dsp ApacheModuleExpires.mak ApacheModuleHeaders.dsp ApacheModuleHeaders.mak ApacheModuleInfo.dsp ApacheModuleInfo.mak ApacheModuleRewrite.dsp ApacheModuleRewrite.mak ApacheModuleSpeling.dsp ApacheModuleSpeling.mak ApacheModuleStatus.dsp ApacheModuleStatus.mak ApacheModuleUserTrack.dsp ApacheModuleUserTrack.mak
Date Sat, 24 Jan 1998 05:01:31 GMT
On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> > > find . -name \*.mak | xargs perl -pi -e 'print "new line to add\n" if (/blahblah/);'
> >
> > The problem is that you get files out of sync with what MSVC thinks they
> > should be, so if you export at some point in the future for some other
> > reason, you could have all sorts of things suddenly pop up broken.  That
> > still sticks you with two supposedly canonical sources of make info and no
> > way to keep them in sync.  Exporing from MSVC, while it generates an awful
> > mess, does keep them in sync.
>
> Yeah well my point was that maintaining by hand isn't that hard.  If you
> weren't using the MSVC IDE then you'd just be adding something to one line
> in one Makefile I'm sure... because your makefiles would actually use some
> of the features of make.

Of course.

> My example could have been changed to edit the .dsp files instead.

But there is a fundamental incompatibility between having one canonical
source and trying to second-guess what MSVC will generate as a makefile.
If you had real makefiles then you have two easier to edit things.  If you
use MSVC generated makefiles, you only have one thing to edit.

I really don't like the idea of having two seperate ways to build.  From
what I can see, MSVC is pretty reasonable about keeping its generated
makefiles doing the same thing as the IDE.  Changing that so we have to do
it is more pain than I think is wise.

Yes, it sucks, but...

> If the makefiles are autogenerated why do we even have them checked into
> CVS?

So that someone who wants to use nmake and not the IDE doesn't have to go
into the IDE and go through each and every of the two zillion projects to
manually create them.