httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [OFFTOPIC] Netscape to give away Communicator source code
Date Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:18:36 GMT
How many security holes will be found after the release of the source?

I would have thought that the current 4.0 code would have bits licensed
from toher vendors which would not be freely distributable in source, but
perhaps they worked a deal with them or are replacing those bits.

It isn't often you can say this, but I would really have to say that a
move of this type (_if_ it actually goes through as they claim, which is
still a big if) is unprecedented.  We have seen companies release code and
make it freely available for projects of a similar scale, but not really
anything that was current and the same sort of market leader.  Microsoft,
does, of course have a lot to do with this.

So, what are the chances that MS will release IE source? <G>