httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: old ZD benchmark comments
Date Thu, 22 Jan 1998 05:50:55 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I haven't actually looked at ZD's previous benchmarks before in
> detail because I never saw real graphs.

Oh yea, and for anyone interested their table is at

Some of the more... "interesting" points:

Apache does not log accesses or page hits, but it does have
customizable log files.

It can't control access to "parts of documents".  WTF is that?

It can't create private certificates, yet it has scripts or wizard for
creating certificates.

It supports "no" other APIs, and the Apache API doesn't count I guess.

Oh, and access control isn't handled by the OS.  Erm... sure it is...
Unix has permissions.  Apache respects them, not that it has a
choice.  I fail to see why magazines goes on and on about how great it
is that IIS makes you use NT logins for your web server when in the
real world it sucks.

Oh yea, and they incorrectly call IIS free.  They label Novell's
server as "included with intranetware" but for some reason they
think IIS is different.

Hehehehehahahahahahahehehehe.  You would think they would do something
odd like trying to verify their facts.

(yes, this has all been gone through before and is old stuff, but...
I haven't looked at it before...)

View raw message