httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Apache holds just under 50% of the Internet Server Market!
Date Fri, 16 Jan 1998 01:51:17 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Silly? Nah...
>
> He sounds like someone who doesn't really know what he's talking
> about, and people questioned him about it, so he felt the need to
> prove that yes indeed he _does_ know what he's talking about...
> But, of course, he doesn't.
>
> As an example, that whole bogus thing about Apache being "freeware"
> yet "disk space isn't free" is almost too stupid to be believable.

I guess he didn't get in on the free offer of free hardware with Apache,
just like every other vendor gives you.

His argument about the biggest costs coming after the purchase is very
true in concept and I agree completely; if Apache were exactly the same
but it cost $$$ (even though it really couldn't be exactly the same and
cost $$$...) it would still be worthwhile in my view.  When I have an
important server depending on the software, I sure don't want to be
saddled by some dumb vendor taking weeks or months to do anything, even
about major problems.