httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: mod_auth-any/1672: Authentication / .htaccess DoS attack (fwd)
Date Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:50:17 GMT
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> This is a cute DoS attack.  I like it :)
>
> It should be an fstat(), which is faster than stat() on many unixes
> because they don't have to do path resolution twice.  We also should have
> some way of disabling it in the call -- but should default every call to
> having the protection enabled.  We'd disable it in default_handler
> naturally, since we've already protected against devices.

Joy joy.  Now for .htaccess files we not only have to (by default) open
(or try to open) a zillion files, we have to stat them too.  That sucks.

I would really like a nicer workaround, but... finding one is a different
matter.  If someone has access to the system (ie. a shell) they can still
mess with you no matter what you do.

Apache is not compartmentalized between users; until you have some overall
way to be sure that no user can make requests eat "too much" of any
resource, you will always be subject to similar attacks.  I don't know of
any server of any type that isn't very restrictive that really is very
well; well, any server of this nature.  There are operating systems that
are and a few big apps that are, but...