httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: yet another possible IE4 HTTP/1.1 bug that I haven't heard about...
Date Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:36:41 GMT
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > '_' is an ugly thing to use everywhere, there are a number of variables
> > that have to be dealt with, very few people use the variables in the env,
> > and there is precedent for changing - to _ in variable names.
>
> There are exactly two variables that we define.  The user can fix their

I think broken clients will likely cuase more of these in the future, and
_ is ugly.

> own definitions if they have any.

How will they know to fix them unless we put special case code in to warn
about them using obsolete settings?  I just don't see the harm in munging
it.

> Is '.' allowed in environment variables?

bash sez:

       name   A  word  consisting only of alphanumeric characters
              and underscores, and beginning with  an  alphabetic
              character or an underscore.  Also referred to as an
              identifier.

[...]

PARAMETERS
       A parameter is an entity that stores values, somewhat like
       a variable in a conventional programming language.  It can
       be a name, a number, or  one  of  the  special  characters
       listed  below  under  Special Parameters.  For the shell's
       purposes, a variable is a parameter denoted by a name.

so in theory we should munge anything else...

It is allowed in the variables, of course, just not the name.