httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Intel Port & Release Process
Date Sat, 10 Jan 1998 00:06:06 GMT
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > You don't.  CVS doesn't support it.
>
> cvs update -D yesterday

But that isn't the same as being able to say "I want to back out _this_
commit or _that_ commit."

> > You just find the diff, reverse (eg. diff the version nums in the opposite
> > directory, patch -R, etc) it and apply it.
>
> This usually works quite well with the stuff mailed to apache-cvs.  I've
> used it to back out patches, and to apply patches between trees.

To a degree, and the main reason cvs doesn't have any feature to back out
a specific patch is because it isn't really necessary at the basic level,
however features that let me back out and bring in a patch again without
it being multiple commits.  The concept of "transactions" that can be
rolled back individually without removing them or committing the old code
could be useful, to the limited degree that it could work due to
conflicts, etc.