httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: holy pete PLEASE READ
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 07:33:54 GMT
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > I really am not convinced that releasing the win32 tree in anything
> > resembling what it is now does anyone any good.
> >
> 	:
> > There are real problems that need to be addressed.
> I agree.  One of them is the InstallShield packaging, which Ben
> said is humongously obnoxious for things like the htdocs tree.
> Is Ben still doing the IS work, or did that get handed off to
> someone else?  I forget..
> I'd like to see the major Win32 issues fixed, 1.3.0 released, and
> maybe a 1.[34]* to clean up any warts.  And a 1.4 for those of
> us with bulging feature pouches.

Call the next version 2.0.  Go for the full API/process model/etc.
changes.  What gets done gets done, we are well overdue for a 2.0 anyway.

The actual time to get it done and coded will be very small.  90% of the
time is spent with bugfixes, dealing with release cycles, creative
discussion, etc.  We can not do a short 1.4 release cycle.  We can not
support making 2.0 and 1.4 go on at the same time.  History is a good

View raw message