httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen STATUS
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:27:35 GMT
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > I am not saying that this is necessarily the way to go for Apache, but I
> > do agree with Dean.  The current setup sucks.  I for one would be testing
> > a heck of a lot more patches if I could just cvs update and recompile.  I
> > don't have the cycles in my day to manually patch things.  That's
> > obviously how we are finding most of the problems right now anyway.  Lots of
> > patches that get +1'ed end up causing things to break anyway and this is
> > caught months later instead of right away because of the current setup.
> >

> Sounds like a major topic for discussion...
>
> Some more: Why NOW? Aren't we doing beta for 1.3? Aren't we trying
> to fix things and not add things? Why the need for this free-for-all?

Because our beta cycles are too long.

We need long beta cycles because we don't have the resources internally to
do full and proper testing of major changes.

Having only short periods of time when features are "allowed" to be added
means that no real features get in, only small stuff that can sneak by.

The 1.3 beta cycle is far from over due to windows stuff.

Features are worth adding.

We probably left alpha too early (if you say some feature are ok in alpha)
because the unix stuff is stable.