httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: [ Re: ZDNet article]
Date Wed, 07 Jan 1998 06:21:53 GMT
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Ian Kluft wrote:

> > From: Michael Douglass <>
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 01:42:53PM -0700, Marc Slemko said:
> > > What it boils down to is that using a freely available version of Apache
> > > with ssl patches in the US for commercial purposes violates RSA's patents
> > > (since you obviously don't have a RSA license) and is illegal.
> >
> > Okay, so we have 2 years to wait and then we can go freely unto the golden
> > gate of apache-ssl.  The RSA patent expires in the year 2000. :)
> True.  But before you get your hopes up too high about that statement,
> be sure to avoid a few pitfalls...
> The expiration is late in 2000, something like September.  Also, even after
> the patent expiration, RSA will continue to own the copyright on their code
> and anything derive from it.  Copyrights do not expire.  So, when the time
> comes, use someone else's code that you have either permission or license
> to use.

There is freely available code that can be used in free countries today.

Also note that SSLv3 can be implemented in a way that doesn't use the
RSA-patented code, but I'm not sure if common clients support it.
Navigator 3 doesn't appear to at first glance.

> And the state of US export regulations in 2000 could still get in the way
> if it isn't all resolved by then.  The export restrictions are based on

Yes, they will still prevent any integration in the base Apache source in
the forseeable future me thinks.

> a 53-year-old rule classifying any effective cryptography in the same class
> as munitions because of the way they affected the outcome of WWII.  Even
> though we consider it very important to have them overturned for use of
> cryptography in privacy protection, the military considers it very important
> to keep it the way it is - in their minds it's still a defense matter.

> --
> Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
> (work) (home)          San Jose, CA

View raw message