httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: [sameer@c2.net: Re: ZDNet article]
Date Tue, 06 Jan 1998 20:42:53 GMT
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Michael Douglass wrote:

> Being much put off by some of c2.net's stuff, I made apost and a
> mention of using apache-ssl; then mr. c2.net tells me that it's
> illegal in North America.  Since the author of the apache-ssl
> patches is a member of this list perhaps he can comment. :)

There is nothing new there.

The patches aren't illegal to use and are not restricted by license, but
in the US (Canada is less clear) RSA has a patent on an algorithm required
for SSLv2.  You either need a license from RSA or you have to use the
rsaref library, which is freely available for non-commercial use; not for
commercial use.

What it boils down to is that using a freely available version of Apache
with ssl patches in the US for commercial purposes violates RSA's patents
(since you obviously don't have a RSA license) and is illegal.