httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: latest redhat rpm of apache
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1998 16:45:17 GMT
On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> > 	-ServerAdmin you@your.address
> > 	+ServerAdmin root@localhost
> >
> > which I'm not sure helps anything...
>
> Oopsie. I've been doing this as well. I guess that I should fix this.
> It'd be nice to have something that works out the box, though, or at
> least didn't provide an invalid address.

The idea is that you@your.address makes people who do see it know it is
bogus, and makes it obvious it needs to be changed.

If the box isn't networked to remote systems, root@localhost will have
meaning.  In that case, however, it is unlikely to have multiple users
using it so it doesn't matter.  If it is networked and has remote users
using the web server, root@localhost is completely wrong because it may
look like a valid address to some people yet will not work right and often
won't bounce either.

Some day I should fix all the example domains to make them correct example
domains.

> > The latest Redhat 1.2 package still uses killall for log rotation:
> >
> > 	/var/log/httpd/access_log {
> > 	    postrotate
> > 		/usr/bin/killall -HUP httpd
> > 	    endscript
> > 	}
> >
> [same for agent_log, error_log, and referer_log]
> >
> > Sigh.
>
> I've mentioned this to them. In my RPMs, I've always eliminated the
> first three killall's, and I'm planning to change the fourth to a USR1
> signal.

Does it compress the logs at all?

> > And for their httpd.init script they do:
> >
> >   stop)
> >         echo -n "Shutting down http: "
> >         killproc httpd
> >         echo
> >         rm -f /var/lock/subsys/httpd
> >         ;;
> >
> > (no idea what killproc does...)
>
> The same thing as killall, but killproc is guaranteed to be available
> in rc.d scripts, while killall may never be available. Then why is it
> used in logrotate? Good question.

And what signal does it use?  TERM?

> > but restart is the silly:
> >
> >   restart)
> >         $0 stop
> >         $0 start
> >         ;;
>
> Fixing this too. Will use -USR1.

You may want to consider -HUP because understanding what -USR1 does and
doesn't do can take more brainpower than HUP does.  If people want to use
it for logfile rotations of their own, etc. -USR1 could mess them up.

> Do y'all consider the proxy module to be stable enough to be included
> in an all-inclusive server yet? If not, I'll remove it from my RPM.

I think it is stable enough, the problem is just that it is an ugly mess
of code, poorly integrated into the Apache API with some bogus protocol
implementations.