httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@bellglobal.com
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen STATUS
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:53:13 GMT
> Some more: Why NOW? Aren't we doing beta for 1.3? Aren't we trying
> to fix things and not add things? Why the need for this free-for-all?

Because someone brought it up.  For me the problem has always been there.

> How long has PHP3 been in development? Was this the route for PHP2?
> Did the fact that PHP3 is a total rewrite influence this change?

There was no change.  PHP2 development worked the same way, except PHP2
was mostly a one-man project.  It was just me.  As it evolved more
people were given CVS commit access to PHP2 but I was still the only
core guy who could understand the guts of my spaghetti code.  The PHP
itself began in 1995.

The main change with the PHP3 project is that there are a heck of a lot
more developers with intimate knowledge of how everything works.  The
scale of this project in terms of the number and nature of developers is
similar to the Apache project.  PHP3 is nowhere near as mature as Apache,
nor does it have the sort of market impact that Apache does.  But, does
this have to mean that Apache development needs to be so stuffy and stifled?
We need to encourage guys like Dean, listen to them and do whatever it
takes to keep them happy and productive.  If Dean is unhappy with the way
things are, then we have a problem.  It is as simple as that.  So, unless
someone thinks that what Dean's work is not required, we need to address it.
Trying to bash him on the head until he agrees with other views is not
the way to solve it.

Nobody is being paid to contribute to Apache.  This needs to be a fun and
fast-moving project.  Over the past 18 months I think the whole thing has
gotten too big and conservative.  If you look at what was produced in the
last 18 months and compare that to the 18 months prior to that, I think you
will see that we have not been very productive.  I realize that a strict and
conservative approach might produce a more stable and bug-free product.  But
if that approach in the process eliminates a number of good contributors and
slows the entire process to a crawl, then we are going to have a nice and
solid piece of code to display at the Smithsonian museum of antigue software.

-Rasmus