httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: clear_connection in mod_proxy
Date Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:31:48 GMT
>Why is it doing that?  Is this an attempt to work with pre-1.1 keepalives
>that use a Keep-Alive header in addition?  Why not just explicitly key on
>that?
>
>Roy?  You wrote it...

See section 14.10 of RFC 2068.  It was originally intended for all proxies,
including HTTP/1.0 ones, and is a good idea in any case.

Proxy-Connection was Netscape's failed attempt to get around the limitations
of existing proxies that did not delete Connection.  It failed because it
doesn't work across multiple proxies.  Yes, we should delete it as well,
but I was hoping to ignore it.  Go ahead and add an unset of Proxy-Connection
to the end of that function.

....Roy