httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: apache-2.0
Date Thu, 29 Jan 1998 00:27:17 GMT
Apparently some people have a different view of why 2.0 is needed
than I do, and thus think starting with a full repository is easier
than starting with an empty one.

If done right, 2.0 should be capable of running multiple protocols
on a single server, treating all URLs and URL redirection properly,
use stream filters for layered processing, use a single version of
each routine for parsing common things, and actually handle methods
as they were intended to be handled.  If you think you can do that
without rewriting the entire core, http_protocol.c in particular,
then I suggest reducing the amount of pixie dust in your breakfast cereal.

If, however, you just want to change the API (the least broken part
of Apache right at this moment), then it makes sense to start with
the 1.3 base (BUT ONLY AFTER 1.3.0).  In that case, you should still
delete everything in the 2.0 repository, since it should only contain
the plans for 2.0 until you actually have time to change things.
A server core rewrite (which is NECESSARY to support things like WebDAV)
will be put off until 3.0.

In any case, if garbage from more 1.3-to-2.0 automatic checkins start
showing up in the cvs list, I'll go in and delete it myself.  We don't
need a mirror.

....Roy