httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: apache-2.0
Date Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:39:52 GMT
>But 2.0 won't be a complete rewrite and any attempt at starting from
>scratch would be ill advised, IMHO.  We will never get anywhere.

I disagree on all three points.  It will be a complete rewrite or it
won't be called 2.0.  Starting from scratch is not what we are doing --
we are simply starting with a clean slate.  And we will get a lot
further, faster, and with less friction if we can easily distinguish
the re-integrated software from stuff that's just lying around waiting
for someone to check to see if it is totally broken.

People should be encouraged to start building the core of 2.0 and
not have to worry about keeping the 1.3 and 2.0 repositories consistent.
If they want to see the old version history, they are perfectly capable
of switching to a 1.3 directory and viewing it there.

....Roy