httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Waldron <swald...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: performance comparison
Date Tue, 06 Jan 1998 21:43:44 GMT
Even the parameters of the test are variable. Both SpecWeb and WebStone allow
one to tinker with the ratio of calls. Most I've been able to drag out of those
who have run the test is the average GET is for 7k. I would suggest someone in
the Apache group propose a SpecWeb configuration (size of files, frequency,
etc.) for consistency in various Apache based tests. We're planning some large
scale tests on TPF (with our mainframe port) in the coming months and would
appreciate the ability to compare results as much as possible (given that
benchmark results are for the gullible anyway).

Related to this issue. We have been looking ways for an alternate test as well.
TPF does I/O very efficiently so we could easily support web sites terabytes in
size. Given that WebStone or Specweb test pages can all fit in cache, this is
not much of an indicator of I/O capability. We hope to alter the test to use
the same ratios but spread across larger range of physical files.

Stu Waldron        Internet: swaldron@us.ibm.com
Tel:914-433-4781 (TL:8-293) / Fax:914-432-9788 (TL:8-292)
1-800-759-8888 pin 1466514 or 1466514@skytel.com
USIB6JCU@IBMMAIL   Home E-mail swaldron@mhv.net
"Batteries not Included, some assembly required"
IBM, 522 South Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601  MD P924

new-httpd-owner@apache.org on 01/06/98 04:23:22 PM
Please respond to new-httpd@apache.org @ internet