httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Creating src/include in 1.3
Date Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:07:20 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Well, exactly, and that was my point. The snag is that there's this
> > distinction between per-server and per-dir configs. Per-dir's don't know
> > about servers, which is pretty bogus IMO. I'm not quite sure what we
> > should do about it, except to say that I think it should be one of the
> > areas we give serious thought to in 2.0. This comes back to my rather
> > ancient proposal about just generally sort of matching things and thus
> > ending up with a configuration, which didn't really make distinctions
> > between things like which host, which directory, what URL, or even which
> > browser. They were just things that could be matched to provide config.
> >
> > I'd like to see it fixed in 1.3, less sure about 1.2.x (mainly because I
> > suspect it involves substantial code change).
>
> What exactly do you want to fix in 1.3?  Fixing just this bug with
> Options/AllowOverrides is easy...

If it really is only these two, then that's what I want to fix :-)

Snag is, I suspect the server/directory dichotomy may cause many more
things to behave in an unexpected way.

> BTW, it's not as hard as I thought to preserve the global default
> "Options all".  In fact it may be just as easy as:
>
>     d->opts = OPT_UNSET | OPT_ALL;
>
> And change the OPT_UNSET tests to just test the OPT_UNSET bit.

Errr. Is it?

BTW, it has also been pointed out to me that:

Options -Indexes

at the top level does nothing at all (for reasons that are obvious if
you look at the code, but not at all obvious to the average Webmaster).
Is this a bug, too?

> Note, while a completely generic "match this { merge that }" config
> language could be cool I'm having a hard time figuring out how it would
> enforce things like "this can only be set per server".  There's a reason
> for the per_server and per_dir distinction -- some things only make sense
> per_server.

I grant you that a generic config language may permit you to set stuff
that doesn't make sense. There may be ways to detect that kind of
mistake, I suppose. I'm afraid my brain isn't up to it right now, though
(after a hard day's wrestling with templates :-)

Cheers,

Ben.