httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Tatarinov <tatar...@prairie.NoDak.edu>
Subject Re: CGI output caching
Date Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:54:30 GMT
I am talking about caching the output from my server's CGI scripts.
Yes, I know that proxies can do that but the problem is that when people
from different parts of the world (diff ISPs) request data they may
be using  different proxies. So, it is more efficient to install a
proxy at the Web server site not at the user sites.

But all this doesn't matter if what Michael said is true: each time a
CGI script is called (even with the same parameters) the output will be
different, e.g., there will be a timestamp inserted somewhere.

Is it really so (I have no industrial experience)?
if yes most CGI scripts are non-cacheable (expire immediately).

If no there is still space for improvement since producing the output
may be costly, e.g. a DB lookup.

igor

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Igor Tatarinov wrote:
> >
> > What I am thinking of is caching of CGI output. I know that it's tough and
> > not always useful (I hear you saying "Don't cache our counter, you moron!).
>
> Are you talking about having control over whether the output from
> *your* scripts is cached, or caching that from some remote site?
> For the former, you should be able to do what you want by just having
> your script emit the correct response header fields; for the latter..
> well, don't cache anything that says it shouldn't be cached.  Under
> any circumstances.
>
> I guess I'm missing the context here.
>
> #ken    P-)}

Igor Tatarinov, graduate student, Computer Science Dept, NDSU
e-mail: tatarino@prairie.nodak.edu   or   itat@acm.org
http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~tatarino