httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: CTR notice: htdocs/manual/mod edits
Date Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:32:43 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Speaking personally, I really don't like the idea.  I'm sorry for missing
> your previous threats :) but I think from a hypertext perspective it could
> lead to a lot of confusion and visual clutter.  To go to the extreme
> example: what if we made every mention of "directive" a link to a
> dictionary definition of directive?  Very quickly we could go down a
> slippery slope towards making half the words in the documentation links to
> their definitions or documentation...

Did you look at the mod_example.html page to see what I meant?  We have
lots and lots of pointers to mumble.html#foodirective in the online
documentation and elsewhere.  When you follow one of those to the
directive description, you can see what the directive does, but the
boldface attributes are frequently cryptic and inconsistently used.
There was no one place (AFAIR) where what they meant was documented,
which is why directive-dict.html was put in quite a while ago.

Yes, it's visually cluttering when you read something like core.html
top to bottom - but if you've followed a link to the one particular
directive you want to use, it seems reasonable to make its description
as complete as possible.

#ken	P-)}