httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/main http_main.c
Date Sat, 24 Jan 1998 17:54:13 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm thrilled with __ and really think that is an API change
> or something that should have discussion before being committed...

It *was* discussed, starting last Sunday.  You made no comments.  No
conclusions were drawn, except that leading underbars were out due to
reservation restrictions, and my objection to the overloading of the
meaning of "ap_".  However, the lack of a conclusion was blocking
Rasmus' work, so I made an arbitrary and unilateral change following
the naming guidelines used by Digital (with which I'm painfully familiar,
but which I know work - millions of lines of code use it).  The result
is that Rasmus can now proceed, and we can hash out what the prefix
*should* be without the debate delaying him.

I repeat my opinion that this isn't an API change because the routine
is used only in two places: Doug's DCE work (not mod_perl?) and the
http_main.c module.  It is not a public interface, and therefore isn't
part of the API.  And finally, with 1.3 quite likely to close out
the 1.* version sequence (hah!) I don't think it's a big deal for
this specific case.  What *is* a big deal is deciding on a nomenclature
for 2.*.

#ken	P-)}