httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Harrie Hazewinkel <harrie.hazewin...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Upgrade of the SNMP module for Apache 1.2.5
Date Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:53:17 GMT
The reasons of this kind of SNMP-logging was that every process
only has to do a small bit during the HTTP-request cycle and
the SNMP-part during a SNMP-request has to do more. But this is
justified by the fact that the number of SNMP-requests are much
less then the number of HTTP-requests. Another reason is that
the SNMP-information is similar like the status-information;
only 1 process may write in its own part and may read out of all parts.
The only thing is that when you have around 50 virtual hosts
the scorebaord becomes huge.

Since I recently wanted to implement the complete WWW-MIB I ran
into the problem that I need a sequence of the documents access
(sorted by virtual host). So I started to search for other ways
of maintaining the SNMP-information. I believe a UNIX-domain socket
is probably the best choice. Then all processes write a small
datagram and send it to the UNIX-domain socket. The SNMP-process
has then to read all the packets and log the SNMP-information.
The only drawback here is that the processing cylces go up,
but we do not have the SNMP-information in shared memeory
and in size multplied by the number of apache processes.

--
HA HA