httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [POLL] experiment with commit-then-review
Date Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:25:18 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, if you add something that works *only* on UNIX it's
> > only fair to give the Win32 folx warning - and if it cannot be done
> > under Win32 I think it's reasonable that they be able to veto the
> > change.  We decided long ago to maintain feature (if not bug) compatibility
> > across platforms.
>
> I am absolutely against this.

Which part?  Letting other platform developers know you might be implementing
something they'll have to try to winkle?  Or requiring feature parity
across platforms?

> If there's something we can't do on WIN32 that's just too bad.  I'm not
> going to cripple the unix version just because we can't do it on win32.

I think both of these sentences are pitching it rather strongly.  "That's
just too bad" doesn't sound like a very team-oriented attitude to me, and
I don't think that NOT adding a whistle is going to "cripple" the server.
But I'll table my gut responses to those remarks for now and assume that's
not how they were meant.

> Consider cpu time limits and other resource control stuff -- we may not be
> able to do that on win32 yet (5.0 we should).  You're saying we shouldn't
> do that period, and I'm totally disagreeing with that.

See my comment below on visibility.

> I disagree that we "decided long ago to maintain feature compatibility
> across platforms".  We certainly don't have it now (consider
> OPTIMIZE_TIMEOUT, a performance feature, consider mod_unique_id.c,
> consider reliable USR1).

I wasn't aware that mod_unique_id wasn't Win32-usable.  Reliable USR1
was there before the Win32 port, ISTR, so that doesn't count - and
besides, Paul's working on something to make it available in Win32.
As for OPTIMIZE_TIMEOUT..  Well, things that are user-invisible
(as opposed to webmaster-invisible) I think have more latitude for
platform-dependency.

And *I'm* totally against any developer on *any* platform charging
along adding stuff and changing things that the people that work
on the other platforms are going to have to interrupt their own
work to catch up.  At least not without fair warning in advance.
I think that sort of thing falls under the "idea" review-first
rule anyway, though, so it's a non-issue.

#ken	P-)}