httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Ziff Davis replies to the 50% market question!!!
Date Thu, 15 Jan 1998 23:55:45 GMT
Sam Rasins wrote:

> >From Albert_Pang@zd.com Thu Jan 15 17:08:38 1998
> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:08:50 -0800
> From: Albert Pang <Albert_Pang@zd.com>
> Subject: Re: Apache holds just under 50% of the Internet Server Market!
> To: Owner@YourOwnCompany.com
>
> Thanks for the message. I?ve updated the story on the fight between Apache
> and Netscape in the Web server market with a new column at
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdimag/content/netmedium/1998/01/
> I hope you will find the piece useful and pertinent in addressing your
> concerns. Any other questions, please let me know.
> Thanks again for the feedback.

Astonishing. I haven't read such amazing bollocks for a long time.
For example: "Still, Zona Research estimates that NT now commands 52
percent of the Internet server operating systems, compared with 33
percent for Unix."

Oh, sure! Who commissioned this research? Let me guess: a small company
whose name starts with "micro" and ends with "snot", perhaps?

As for: "All indications suggest that NT will become the primary Web
server for corporate intranets, despite its security problems, which are
likely to be resolved with this year’s release of NT 5.0."

Rewrite that the way it must surely have read before the editor's pen
slipped: "All indications suggest that NT will not become the primary
Web server for corporate intranets, because of its security problems,
which are unlikely to be resolved with next year’s release of NT 5.0.",
and suddenly it makes sense!

Cheers,

Ben.