httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: just use md5 for win32?
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:14:07 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Should we just use md5 for win32 and skip crypt?
>
> It means that htpasswd files can't be transferred from unix.  Do other NT
> servers use htpasswd files?  What do they use?  Is it worth taking extra
> effort to make existing crypt()ed files (at least from some platforms)
> transferrable?

It isn't a requirement that they should be transportable, is it? I'm not
at all convinced that all Unixes have identical crypt()'s anyway (e.g.
FreeBSD passwd files certainly don't look like anyone else's).

In other words, yes, use MD5 - it's what I'd vaguely planned to do when
I got around to it...

Cheers,

Ben.