httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen STATUS
Date Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:23:53 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Why do *you* have to gain something?  I think the rest of the *group*
> > gains something; isn't that a consideration for you?
>
> No idea what everyone else gains.
>
> Life has worked fine for a very long time without adding every patch to
> some file somewhere.  The only argument I have seen for it is to make
> things nice and pretty so people can just look through a file of patches
> instead of looking at the patch.  I don't see the point.

I guess not.  Let me try again:

Wrong-o.  Life worked fine for a very long time when someone took
the effort to keep people informed by adding notes about outstanding
patches to a STATUS message.  Lots and lots of patches got forgotten
because they didn't get included, and resurfaced later - spending a lot
of people's time and bandwidth.  I can think of a couple of patches
for which this happened no less than three times.

There have also been numerous occasions when someone has *first* seen
notice of a patch in the STATUS message, having missed the patch message
itself for whatever reason (such as Brian nuking his directory the other
day), and been able to work backwards from that to find the patch message
itself in the archives.  If the patch isn't mentioned in the STATUS message,
that obviously won't happen and such an individual will be blissfully
ignorant of the patch's existence.

Since there's no one person maintaining STATUS any more, that benefit
no longer accrues to the group unless individual patch submitters
take it upon themselves to perform the highly-onerous task of adding
three lines about their patch to the STATUS file.

IMNSHO, a central record of what's going on is a Good Thing.  Particularly
when the alternative is dozens of one-off fragmentary messages. Go
ahead and have your fragments if you like, but maintain the central
record too.

>                                                           If it doesn't
> get votes, then add it and let it sit there so people may get around to
> it.  If it does, just do it and be done, no need to fiddle around.

Yes?  And who's going to add it?  The submitter, or some mythical RM
or STATUS maintainer?

#ken	P-|}