httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [POLL] apachen/patches directory
Date Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:08:45 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 11:07:21AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> > So.. the question is, shall a directory be created somewhere in
> > the source tree so patches can be made available through cvs update
> > rather than requiring separate mail to new-httpd?  Votes, please.
>
> I support doing anything as a group that will help us meet our goals.

It's unclear whether this will meet that metric; I think we can't tell
until we try it.

> * This setup should not even consider auto commiting.

Not arguing, but why not?  Just curious.

> * I'm not sure I understand the usefulness of CVS in this scenario.

My belief is that it will simplify things for some people, such as
Dean and myself.  It may make things more complicated for others -
I don't know.  By having it in CVS, the patch gets downloaded to
the working area automatically by an update - without having to futz
with extracting mail and moving the extracted file around.  Also
by having it in CVS, the currently-manual "here's a patch" message to
the group is replaced by the automatic notification generated when
the patch is committed to CVS.  And as Jim pointed out, a commentary
can be added above the "Index" line, since patch with ignore it.
Self-documenting!

That's my opinion of how it will benefit *some* of us.  There may well
be disadvantages I haven't spotted yet. ;->

> * As long as this system does not require me to ditch the Email
>   filtering method that is working for me, go for it.

Without knowing what your filtering mechanism is I obviously
can't comment on that.  It makes sense that a change shouldn't
drastically affect this, though, since other people probably
filter in a similar (if not identical) manner.  So.. what *is*
your filtering method so we can make sure this change (if voted)
doesn't negatively affect you?

#ken	P-)}