httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ingo Luetkebohle <i...@blank.pages.de>
Subject Re: sane mail-archive
Date Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:46:12 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Disk space chewing.  huge problem.  That affects search index size too.

Sure, but disk-space is cheap. gzipping the generated files does help,
too.

> And the fact you had to heavily customize it too doesn't make me feel good.

With customization I meant building a specific resources file for
MHonArc, not hacking at the MHonArc source. For explanation: MHonArc
lets you customize the looks of the generated HTML files by resource
files. This makes them generally much more useful.

> Not pine!  :)  Not eudora either, whose mailbox file format is the same as
> the Unix format.

You mention pine... What about setting up a public IMAP server
containing the mail archive? Browsing and searching is built right in
and it surely beats ftp´ing all those mbox-files and browsing them
locally. With cyrus-imapd, you could even place all the mbox files into
one big archive, without any performance degradation at all.

---/dev/il