httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: sane mail-archive
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 23:06:26 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I'll post the spec soon... but the basic idea is that for each mbox file
> you have a dbm file (or sql database table, whatever) storing message
> beginnings, the basic headers, x-ref's, etc.  I.e., a threads database like
> news servers have.  The search engine returns hits to particular messages,
> showing the metainfo.  every message has a unique URL.  Etc.

I have a half-implemented version of exactly this.  The major stumbling
block has been the index; I want full-text, and my first pass (before
I had to turn my attention elsewhere) involved breaking the mbox into
separate pieces and running a wais index of it, and rewriting the
index pointers to be MIDs rather than file names.

#ken	P-)}