httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: and while I'm pissing people off (fwd)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 07:27:03 GMT
Gregory A Lundberg wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Ian Kluft wrote:
>
> > Be careful what you let "infuriate" you.  Apache is a volunteer project
> > and the volunteers who do the work are allowed to make decisions that
> > preserve their ability to sustain their efforts.  That decision was theirs
> > to make and you may as well respect it.  If you work on any volunteer project
> > long enough to settle down into the grind of getting work done, that concept
> > should be abundantly clear.
>
> It seems to me anyone who contributes is a "volunteer".  Controlling code
> access makes sense but you're saying I and the rest of the lurkers who
> only occassionally, if ever, post are not "volunteers" because we haven't
> yet helped with the code in some vaugely defined 'substantial way'.  By
> that standard voting members who've not posted patches for some time
> should longer be considered "volunteers".

The existing group defines the rules.  When someone new earns respect,
he/she acquires the privilege of being listened to if she/he wants
to change the rules.  That's how it is; everyone here has had to
live with it.  Accept reality, and you may be able to affect it later.

> An earlier posting made the comment that developers are more important
> (forgive me, I forget the rest of the context right now). I beg to differ.
> You can develop all the really cool code you want but without users it's
> meaningless.  Your best users are those who, like me, decide to see what
> this "volunteer" project is all about.  Ignore the users at your own
> peril.

I'll go along with the last sentence, but with the rest I don't agree.
A silent lurker adds no value; a list member that has only destructive
criticism to offer subtracts value.  A user who isn't on the list but
reports a bug is more valuable than either.

>                                                 Enough about my patch ..
> it was my first attempt, and made more to get a feel for the openness of
> the Group than for its own merits.  I leave the results to each of you to
> decide.

This is a meritocracy.  Yes, some patches have been ignored; this is
regrettable.  Some patches are considered inappropriate or to not
add value and the submitter isn't told; that too is regrettable.
All in all, most submitted patches get considered, and many get
implemented.  If they're implemented, attribution is given in the
CHANGES file.  If you expected instant enthusiastic acclaim just
because you submitted a patch, your expectations were mis-set.
That doesn't even happen reliably to people who are serious recognised
long-term contributors.

> So "cool" ideas make it and small, incremental fixes don't?  My comments
> are not based on my single experience.  They're based on watching the
> traffic on this list for months and the general feeling I've gotten from
> that experience.

And what you've been watching is the interaction between people
who know each other (electronically, at least) fairly well, and
as a result have common context to which you're not privy.  I suggest
joining the discussions and acquiring some common context yourself
before passing judgment.

#ken	P-)}