httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ingo Luetkebohle <i...@devcon.net>
Subject Re: performance comparison
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 17:21:00 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:
> What version of apache?  Have you played with the MaxClients settings?  I
> see 700 req/s and 4Mb/s across loopback with zb on a 6k file on a dual
> pentium pro 166 running linux 2.0.30.  That's with some of the tuning
> mentioned on the perf-tuning page.

I found a gotcha: I requested "/" and so incured the additional penalty
of a dir index every time. Requesting a "real" 6k file gives 1 meg/s
with 150 reqs/s on 1.2.5 (whereas previously it was 400k/s)

All tested with concurrency level 5 of zb, so MaxClients should not be a
problem. Raising concurrency to 10 does not change much.

Server: single P133, Linux 2.0.31, Apache 1.2.5. netperf gives roughly
16meg/s on the same machine (via loopback)

Min/MaxSpareServers are 10 and 25 with StartServers at 10, which I
figured would be fine for the performance test.

I followed all of the tips on Deans performance paper, where they relate
to 1.2.x.

---Ingo Luetkebohle
dev/consulting Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerkentwicklung und -beratung mbH
url: http://www.devconsult.de/ - fon: 0521-1365800 - fax: 0521-1365803