httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Tatarinov <tatar...@prairie.NoDak.edu>
Subject Re: performance comparison
Date Tue, 06 Jan 1998 22:01:13 GMT
Well, this wan't my question but indeed I need some benchmarking
tool to test performance of my caching module.

The first thing that I tried was ZeusBench (is it still alive?).
It's pretty nice and simple but it can only request one file. Another
problem it works in two modes only: a single keepalive connection or
a separate connection per request.

I wanted to request different files and be able to specify duration of
ka connections (say 5 requests per connection). This way zb becomes more
realistic. To create my "web site" I take a log and run a perl script
to create all necessary directories and files (sizes are known from
the log). Then I use, the same log and a modified zb to benchmark
apache.

Another reason, I did that is that I wanted to simulate a lot of I/O
activity (may occasionally happen on a busy server) so I took a log
with a large data set.

If if we had a standard log for such kind of testing, then the results
could be comparable.

WebStone used to be a popular benchmark but from it's web page
http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebStone/
it seems like it's dying. And they don't have any results on that page.

igor