httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: worth fixing "read headers forever" issue?
Date Fri, 02 Jan 1998 20:36:31 GMT

You've got a point regarding recovering from rlimit signals from the kernel.

>It's not at all unreasonable for us to do something with RLIMIT_CPU --
>however we'd have to call setrlimit() and getrusage() once per hit to do
>it right.

Unless you were only concerned about overall CPU use by a particular child.

Hmm - what about being able to control child spawning by specifying the
amount of CPU time a particular child can take up, rather than
MaxRequestsPerChild?  When you go over the limit, finish the current
request then die.

>I doubt we should bother with RLIMIT_DATA and RLIMIT_AS.  I think we
>should implement my pool counting suggestion instead... it saves syscalls
>and lets us control when we barf out a lot easier.  Otherwise we'd have to
>be able to distinguish between regular SIGSEGVs and SIGSEGVs caused by
>optimistic allocation on unixes supporting that.

Watching the size of the pool and subpools, if it's efficient, sounds great
to me.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com