httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite on QUERY_STRINGs ??
Date Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:41:39 GMT
> From: Michael Smith <>
> Michael Smith wrote:
> > I'm not sure from the documentation of mod_rewrite whether I ought to be
> > able to use it on QUERY_STRINGs or not.  I would like to rewrite
> > something like

> Under apache 1.3 RewriteCond backreferences can be used to do this; I'm
> guessing that it's not possible under 1.2.

It should be possible with subrequest lookaheads.  I submitted that and Ralf
accepted it in 1996 so it's not a new feature - every 1.2 system should have

The reason you'd need to use a lookahead is because the query string can't
possibly have been determined yet during the API stage when mod_rewrite is
running.  (At that point in time, Apache does not yet know how far into the
URI is the filename and where any potential query string would begin.)  You
have to run a subrequest to completion to use as a "what if" scenario.
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc. (work) (home)          San Jose, CA

View raw message