httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: CGI output caching
Date Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:30:15 GMT
On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 04:15:17PM -0600, Igor Tatarinov said:

> But everytime I visit imdb (hi Rob!) I think that it may worth it.  Just
> think of eliminating the need to start a new perl process and execute it.

You should look for mod_perl as I believe that the imdb is using mod_perl.
With mod_perl you aren't starting up a new perl process every time; in
fact you never start a perl process.  Furthermore, you only end up compiling
each perl program into memory once for each child--unless the perl script
changes, at which time mod_perl reparses it. :)

This may be what you want.  But as far as I can tell, there are no CGI
scripts that I have ever written that are static.  The very nature that
I write CGI scripts is to let me build dynamic-html.

--
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

<tnet admin> anyway, I'm off, perl code is making me [a] crosseyed toady