httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: [OFFTOPIC] Netscape to give away Communicator source code
Date Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:45:14 GMT
On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 01:18:36PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> I would have thought that the current 4.0 code would have bits licensed
> from toher vendors which would not be freely distributable in source, but
> perhaps they worked a deal with them or are replacing those bits.

Well, I've both read a full story on news.com:

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,18358,00.html

and talked to a friend who works there. Supposedly, the commercial
components will probably get stripped out of any source given to the
public. But, when I look at the about: page for Netscape, there isn't
anything I'm particularly dying for. I'm guessing that the commercial
components might be given away as .o files. Encryption will likely get
stripped out too.

While the original press release seemed to say that the license would
be GPL, the news.com article made it seem somewhat more restrictive.

"Life is like an analogy." - Aaron Allston