httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <ikl...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Shared-Memory Abstraction
Date Wed, 21 Jan 1998 00:52:12 GMT
> From: Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
> I've implemented a shared-memory abstraction that has been integrated
> into our Apache-based server (That code is owned by the company, but I
> could recreate something similar for Apache),
> [...]

Depending on your management, you may be able to get permission to contribute
the code directly to Apache.  Have you asked?

Take a look at mod_mime_magic in 1.3, which I originally developed for
in-house use in Cisco's Central Engineering.  When discussions came up about
the possibility of contributing it to Apache, it was fairly easy because
Apache had helped us with such a good server.  I was able to get approval
from the manager and director whom I worked for at the time.

Use the wording in mod_mime_magic's copyright comments if you like, as an
example to show your managers how it's been done before, and maybe also
for your own wording to release it to Apache.

The main thing to watch out for is to let the Apache License handle all the
distribution restrictions.  Avoid any terms like "gnu" or "non-commercial",
both of which are in conflict with the Apache license because it allows
uses that those terms don't.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA