httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] experiment with commit-then-review
Date Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:56:21 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, if you add something that works *only* on UNIX it's
> > only fair to give the Win32 folx warning - and if it cannot be done
> > under Win32 I think it's reasonable that they be able to veto the
> > change.  We decided long ago to maintain feature (if not bug) compatibility
> > across platforms.
>
> I am absolutely against this.
>
> If there's something we can't do on WIN32 that's just too bad.  I'm not
> going to cripple the unix version just because we can't do it on win32.
> Consider cpu time limits and other resource control stuff -- we may not be
> able to do that on win32 yet (5.0 we should).  You're saying we shouldn't
> do that period, and I'm totally disagreeing with that.

I have to agree with Dean about this, as long as we don't use it as
an excuse not to find a way around it. For example, certainly the
use of MMAP can make some things easier on the UNIX side if we decide
that we will use that exclusively. However, that leaves a lot of OSs
out in the cold, either because they lack mmap or their implementation
is for crap. Sooo... we "cripple" Apache is some ways by ensuring as
wide a platform base as possible, but we use MMAP when we can and
find ways of implementing the same type of functionality when possible
(eg: SYSV shared-memory).