httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: regex confusion..
Date Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:05:58 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.980115193700.10039O-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:

> What should I need to match any file with a . or a z in the name?

> <Files ~ [.z]> seems right to me.  The . shouldn't have to be escaped in
> the bracket expression.  It doesn't work for me.

> Ok, so perhaps it is getting it confused with '[.' and '.]'.  Try [z.z],
> no go.

> What am I doing wrong?

> What I am really trying to make is a regex that matches any file without a
> . in the name, which should be easy but I cna't get there...

Although one used things like m/[.z]/ in Perl, this is just a special case of
m/.*[.z].*/, so I think your error is that our Apache "~" operator does not
imply the .* prefix and postfix. For Apache you have to explicitly say <Files
~ .*[.z].*> I think because the regex library itself usually does not append
the prefix and postfix automatically.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com