httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: just use md5 for win32?
Date Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:48:44 GMT
This is getting off-topic, you might want to send replies in private
e-mail.

On Mon, Jan 12, 1998 at 09:56:48AM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > But, the new release of Samba (now tested to be faster than NT)
> > comes with it; they've written their code such that it can only be
> > used for authentication, so it's okay to distribute.
>
> I don't know, but maybe it is because Samba comes from Australia? If
> Apache wasn't partially developed by US citizens and wasn't on a US server
> it could have crypt and SSL in it as well.

Actually, the issue isn't who develops it. AFAIK (and according to the
1.9.18p1 release notes), even if it was developed outside the U.S., it
can't be exported off of U.S. mirror sites, which is why they had to
use the restricted version of DES.

"Would you die for The One?"
"I wouldn't get pizza for the one. That ain't my job." - J.M. Straczynski