httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Mime type translation problem
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:42:31 GMT
Hello Gopakumar H Pillai, you wrote,...
> Hi,
> I was happy to find that this was a bug rather than my configuration
> error, when I saw ur mail. But U r talking only about gzipped files. The
> same thing happens to .exe files too. why? For that matter any binary
> file. This is through the netscape browser. Internet Explorer does it
> fine. Now I feel it's because of the browser and not the server.
> Somebody had already suggested checking the browser.

Yes, NS-Navigator (at least in version 3.01) has the annoying "Feature" that
it tries to display the loaded document even when its Content-Encoding
states that the file should be (gzip-) decompressed first. It outputs a warning
that it doesn't understand Content-Encoding: x-gzip, but then happily displays
the binary file. That is certainly an error in NS-Navigator.

Regarding exe files, I don't know how this can happen; the Content-Type
should be set to application/octet-stream (at least that's what's defined
in the apache_1.2.5 conf/mime.types), so NS-Navigator should prompt with
a download-save box.

But as you stated correctly, Apache does obviously NOT set the type to
application/octet-stream, but to text/plain. There must be another error
in the ftp proxy module. I must have a look at the source.....

Later,
    Martin