httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: just use md5 for win32?
Date Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:19:52 GMT
On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 11:45:23PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Should we just use md5 for win32 and skip crypt?
 [snip]
> It means we don't need to worry about DES export restrictions (although
> Walnut Creek's lawyers said no problems so FreeBSD is doing it I _think_,
> probably should look into it).

Hmmm, during my couple of months of fooling around with FreeBSD, ISTR
the DES code still being restricted. But, the new release of Samba
(now tested to be faster than NT) comes with it; they've written their
code such that it can only be used for authentication, so it's okay to
distribute.

"When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at
you blankly and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'"
  -- Linus Torvalds