httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Intel Port & Release Process
Date Sat, 10 Jan 1998 00:22:08 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> It does, it's just hard to say that across multiple files unless you also
> tag each commit... but tagging is not a scalable thing.  The apache-cvs
> mechanism makes it really easy to back out commits, making tags somewhat
> unnecessary.
>
> A single file is trivial, Rasmus mentioned it but didn't give the
> commands:
>
>     cvs log foobar
>     cvs update -r 1.second-to-last -p foobar >foobar
>     cvs commit foobar
>
> And in some cases you may want to "cvs diff -u -D 'a week ago'" to see
> just what's up.  You can make a patch this way and reverse it easily.
>
> cvs can't be told to just remove A, B, and C because B and C may overlap and
> it just won't know what to do.  Humans have to help.

Gotcha... So if I commit something that spans some files and
you commit something that spans files that include some of mine,
then backing out my stuff takes some effort.

I'm guessing that the CVS logs would help since, possibly, you
could use the exact patches and then just reverse them. I just
got the impression that it was much easier and much more automatic
(ie: that cvs had some sort of "back-out" command).

Thanks.