httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: apache group process
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 23:50:06 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> It means a well-thought and thorough summary of the
> process we should follow in making decisions, and how the decisions
> should get implemented once they are made.  It should consider things
> like the difference between bug fixes and features (and yes, it is
> easy to define what a feature is when you think about it), when and how
> does someone gain commit access (plus how and why they might lose access),
> when and how we do releases, and how our CVS tools can be used to make
> all the above easier.

My discussions have _always been_ to consider the effects of our
actions. Always.

> For once, I don't want to hear anything from "The Devil's Advocate".
> If folks can't be their own advocate, I don't want to hear from them.
> The Devil doesn't get a vote unless he starts doing the work.

I feel this is directed at me... If not, then ignore this. If so, then
handle it as you see fit.

I have made an effort to follow every suggested patch. I have made
an effort to VOTE on every suggested patch. During all this time,
the total number of people who bothered to do that could usually
be counted on one hand. I _have_ been doing what I, as a member
of the Group, _should_ be doing. Everyone now who is now speaking
after being silent for so long, where have you been? Not even
bothering to vote, when that was the ONLY way to get patches
approved! And then some crack about "The Devil doesn't get a vote
unless he starts doing the work." I handled the STATUS stuff until
it was put into the CVS tree. I handled the thankless job of
RM. When people brought up issue, I posted my thoughts. I raised
my concerns. I said "let's try this" or "this is fine as long
as we realize this." All this, while most everyone else was as quiet
as the grave.

And if the "measure" of a team member is how much code they are
producing right now, then we have a lot of people should be
off the group right now.