httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Change
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:33:50 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> And Marc, and (for the record now) me.  I guess everyone stopped reading my
> last message before I proposed another alternative, which was to have
> patches auto-culled from new-httpd mailings into something like
> http://dev.apache.org/patches/ so that we would have easy and consistant
> access to them.

That would be cool. I thought I responded that something automatic
makes sense. If it would be placed under some CVS tree even better
(so we don't need to use a browser to grab the patch... the whole
idea is to make it easy to grab the patch). apache-patches anyone??

> I don't know if you really want to go on a philosophy bent here, but I'll
> dispute the notion that evolution is obviously a better option than
> revolution.

Some other time :)

> 1) The CVS tree should be expected to compile at all times
> 2) Experimental new features must be discussed before implemented
> 3) The committer is responsible for the quality of the third-party code
>    they bring into the code.
> 4) Related changes should be posted at once, or very closely together;
>    no half-baked projects in the code.
>
> Any changes:
>
> ...which affect symantics of arguments to directives
> ...which would have to be implemented differently on other architectures
> ...which significantly add to the runtime size of the program
>
> need to be discussed on new-httpd before it gets committed, even
> experimentally.
>
> Thoughts?  Too conservative?  Too loose?  A bad idea altogether?

  ...adds new features to the code       /* so we can avoid bloat */

Sounds good to me... It keeps alive the concept that it's important
for everyone to be aware what's going on, before it goes on.