httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <ikl...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: and while I'm pissing people off (fwd)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:30:40 GMT
> From: Gregory A Lundberg <lundberg@vr.net>
> Ian is absolutely correct.  The infuriating thing was knowing OOB
> communications was going on without being admited to.  The core team
> _should_ have it's own channel, but the fact of its existance should not
> be secret.

Be careful what you let "infuriate" you.  Apache is a volunteer project
and the volunteers who do the work are allowed to make decisions that
preserve their ability to sustain their efforts.  That decision was theirs
to make and you may as well respect it.  If you work on any volunteer project
long enough to settle down into the grind of getting work done, that concept
should be abundantly clear.

>[...]
> Another concern is the policy the Group would have toward patches
> submitted to the new-httpd list (I don't see anyone other than CVS being
> allowed to post to its list).  Over the past few months, the Group has
> shown an increasing tendency to ignore patches unless submitted by a
> member with commit rights. Unless some of the Group members make the
> effort to commit non-commit members patches, natural attrition will lead
> to a critical shortage of programmers with the inclination to contribute
> and the necessary experience with the code to make substantive changes.

As far as I can see in the archive, when you submitted a patch in November
it was acknowledged immediately although only part of it was used and
the rest of the patch was replaced with rewrite work of their own.  Are you
complaining that they didn't use your whole patch?  They definitely didn't
ignore you.

When I submitted mod_mime_magic, I was surprised about how quickly it was
accepted as part of 1.3.  I'm not a group member so I don't think there's a
discrimination issue.  It sounds like it was an unfair suggestion.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA