httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Patch distribution and committing
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 00:32:17 GMT
rasmus@bellglobal.com wrote:

> I don't think Apache built this user base on the basis of being big, slow and
> conservative.

Nope... it made it by being good and solid.

> Having someone tell a
> developer not to develop, or only to develop on Fridays between 7 and 8am
> or to only develop certain things is not conducive to a nice working
> environment.  And given the fact that we are a bunch of volunteers, a good
> working environment is crucial.

As far as I know, there has not been one patch or feature that
Dean has proposed that has not been agreed to. None. Sure there
was discussion, but so what? This is a group effort. We all knew
that coming into this... Dean wanted Lazy Voting and it was
implemented. But this current desire seemed out of line with
being a good, working solution for this group. As such, I brought
up my points and explained them. Again, what's wrong with that?

> Granted, the situation is much different, but I can
> still see a bunch of guys probably headed by Dean getting fed up enough to
> create a branch and go nuts on the code.  Whether or not such a project
> would succeed is beside the point.  The point is that a united effort with
> a reasonable compromise between stifling release control and free-wheeling
> fun development is going to produce a better product than two disparate
> efforts.

So it's Dean's way or the highway? Doesn't sound like a "good working
environment" to me. But if the _group_ decides to go someway, then
as a member, I'll go with it. That's part and parcel of being
part of a "team" isn't it? Why should it be different for anyone
else.